The Johannine Bibliography WebPages
compiled by Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D.
An Introductory Johannine Bibliography
for students, Bible Study groups and others just
beginning to read John
Briefer Introductions and Commentaries for Group and Student
Larger Commentaries for Teachers' and Group Leaders' Use:
- Brown, Raymond E. The Gospel & Epistles of John: A Concise
Commentary. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1988.
- an excellent, brief, inexpensive introduction
- Lewis, Scott M. The Gospel according to John and the Johannine Letters. New Collegeville Bible Commentary, 4. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2005.
- in the new edition of Collegeville's popular series; certain to become a new standard for Bible Study groups
- Quast, Kevin. Reading the Gospel of John: An Introduction.
New York: Paulist, 1991.
- my personal favorite for use in undergradute
college classes on John
- Binz, Stephen J. Jesus the Word Made Flesh: John. 2 vols. Threshold Bible Studies. New London, CT: 23rd Publications, 2011.
- intended for small-group use, using the Lectio Divina method of reading and praying with the Bible
- Culpepper, R. Alan, ed. The Johannine Literature. Sheffield
New Testament Guides. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 2000.
- combines the previously published "Sheffield
NT Guides" on the Fourth Gospel, Johannine Epistles, and Book of Revelation,
authored by Barnabas Lindars, Ruth B. Edwards, John M. Court, respectively
- Flanagan, Neal M. The Gospel According to John and the Johannine
Epistles. Collegeville Bible Commentary. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1983.
- a popular booklet among Bible Study groups; see also the updated volume by Scott Lewis in Collegeville's new series
- Köstenberger, Andreas J. Encountering John: The Gospel in
Historical, Literary, and Theological Perspective. Encountering Biblical
Studies. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2000.
- a recent, slightly longer volume appropriate
for college students
- MacRae, George W. Invitation to John: A Commentary on the Gospel
of John with Complete Text from the Jerusalem Bible (Image Books). Garden
City, NY: Doubleday, 1978.
- out of print, but multiple copies of this popular
classic are still available in many churches
- Perkins, Pheme. "The Gospel according to John." New Jerome Biblical
Commentary (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1990) 942-85.
- compact and solid introduction and detailed
- Smith, Dwight Moody. "John." HarperCollins Bible Commentary (San
Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 2000) 956-986.
- among the best short expositions contained in
one-volume Bible commentaries
- Talbert, Charles H. Reading John: A Literary and Theological
Commentary on the Fourth Gospel and the Johannine Epistles. Reading the
NT. New York: Crossroad, 1992.
- good for undergraduate students, narrative criticical
approach with brief comments on each passage
Some Recent Studies and Collections of Essays on Historical, Literary,
and Theological Topics:
- Barrett, C. K. The Gospel according to John: An Introduction
with Commentary and Notes on the Greek Text. 2nd ed. London: S.P.C.K.;
Philadelphia: Westminster, 1978.
- Brown, Raymond E. The Gospel According to John I-XII & XIII-XXI:
A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary. 2 vols. Anchor Bible
29 & 29A. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1966-70.
- Brown, Raymond E. An Introduction to the Gospel of John. Edited by Francis J. Moloney. ABRL. New York: Doubleday, 2003. - highly recommended!
- Malina, Bruce & Richard Rohrbaugh. Social-Science Commentary
on the Gospel of John. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1998.
- Michaels, J. Ramsey. John. NIBC 4. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson,
- Moloney, Francis J. The Gospel of John. Sacra Pagina 4. Collegeville:
Liturgical Press, 1998. - highly recommended!
- Smith, Dwight Moody. John. 2nd ed. Proclamation Commentaries.
Philadelphia: Fortress, 1986.
- click here for More Commentaries
on John's Gospel
- Ashton, John, ed. The Interpretation of John. 2nd edition.
Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1997.
- Ashton, John. Understanding the Fourth Gospel. Oxford: Clarendon,
- Brown, Raymond. The Community of the Beloved Disciple: The Life,
Loves, and Hates of an Individual Church in New Testament Times. Mahwah,
NJ: Paulist, 1979.
- Culpepper, R. Alan. The Anatomy of the Fourth Gospel: A Study
in Literary Design. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1983.
- Culpepper, R. Alan, and C. Clifton Black. Exploring the Gospel
of John: In Honor of D. Moody Smith. Louisville: Westminster John Knox,
- Kysar, Robert. John, the Maverick Gospel. Rev. ed. Louisville:
Westminster John Knox, 1993.
- Martyn, J. Louis. History & Theology in the Fourth Gospel.
Rev. ed. Nashville: Abingdon, 1979.
- Rensberger, David. Johannine Faith and Liberating Community.
Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, 1988.
- Segovia, Fernando F., ed. "What is John?" Vol. I: Readers and
Readings of the Fourth Gospel. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1996.
- Segovia, Fernando F., ed. "What is John?" Vol. II: LIterary and
Social Reading of the Fourth Gospel. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1998.
- Sloyan, Gerard S. What Are They Saying about John? New York:
- Smith, D. Moody. John among the Gospels: The Relationship in
Twentieth Century Research. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1992.
- Smith, D. Moody. The Theology of the Gospel of John. Cambridge
& New York: Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- See also the inexpensive series of brief "Zacchaeus Studies: New Testament"
(originally Wilmington, DE: Michael Glazier; now Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical
- Byrne, Brendan. 1991. Lazarus: A Contemporary
Reading of John 11:1-46.
- Collins, Raymond F. 1991. John and His Witness.
- Grassi, Joseph A. 1991. Loaves and Fishes: The
Gospel Feeding Narratives.
- Karris, Robert J. 1990. Jesus and the Marginalized
in John's Gospel.
- Kurz, William S. 1990. Farewell Addresses in the
- Pazdan, Mary Margaret. 1991. The Son of Man: A
Metaphor for Jesus in the Fourth Gospel.
- Yee, Gale A. 1988. Jewish Feasts in John's Gospel.
- See also the Books and Commentaries available through our Amazon aStore
To submit suggestions for books to be added to this bibliography, please
The Johannine Literature Web was created and is maintained
by Felix Just, S.J.
This page was last updated on
October 7, 2011
Copyright © 1999--2011