to the New Testament"
Online Resources - Fall 2005
|Class Date||Online Resources|
Powerpoint Presentation - incl. Three Great Western Religions
· E.N.T.E.R. - Electronic New Testament Educational Resources
Chart of Hebrew & Christian Bibles - esp. distinction between HB &
· New Testament Canon - arrangement & overview by genre
of Important Terms for Biblical Studies - first four sections
· Biblical Genres & Form Criticism - the Bible is not just one book, but a library collection!
History - Egyptian to Greek Eras
· Descendants of Abraham - an abbreviated family tree, from Abraham to the NT era
References - citing book names, chapter and verse numbers
· New Testament Canon - formation & transmission, criteria for canonicity, role of Evangelists
· Five Gospel Parallels - allows you to view 2, 3, 4, or 5 Gospels in parallel columns (off-site)
& Pillars of Judaism - a summary of OT theology
· Israelite/Jewish History - Roman & Christian Eras
· Gospel acc. to Mark: Outlines and Analyses - study esp. the "Central Section"
Four Gospels: Comparative Charts - study in detail
· The Synoptic Problem and Some Proposed Solutions - know esp. the "Four-Source Theory"
· The Synoptic Gospels: Structural Outlines and Unique Materials - learn the three outlines
Titles in the New Testament - Christ, Son of God, Son of Man, etc.
· Overview of NT Geography - Region of Palestine only, for now
· Matthew's Gospel: Five Major Discourses - showing Matthew's Jesus as the "New Moses"
|T-9/27||· Acts of the Apostles - Outline and Major Themes|
Fourth Gospel: Introductory Materials - memorize the first outline; review
|T-10/4||· The Letters/Epistles of John|
Gospels (off-site) - see esp. Gospel of Thomas & Gospel of Peter
· Nag Hammadi Library (off-site) - from the "Gnosis Society"
Stories in the Gospels - know the categories
· Jesus Gives Sight to the Blind
Groups at the Time of Jesus - be able to describe each of the groups
· Rulers in Israel during the Roman Era
· Progression of Theologies in Ancient Judaism - know the differences
Resurrection of Jesus - learn the definitions of terms and the categories
type of traditions
· Christological Titles in the New Testament - know the distinctive meanings of all the titles
Chronology - learn the main "phases" of Paul's life (including
lots of details by now)
· Pauline Geography - know the names and locations of the Roman provinces and their capitals
Letter Structure - know the structural format of ancient letters, and
the distinctive features of Paul's
· Paul's Missionary Associates - esp. Barnabas, Silas, Timothy, Titus, and the main "categories"
and the Christians in Corinth - study the timeline of Paul's interactions w/
· Major Pauline Themes
Aspects of the Pauline Churches - study esp. citizenship, slavery, and
· Literary Overviews of the Pauline Letters
|T-11/8||· Contrasts between Galatians and Romans - konw the definitions, and the processes vs. results|
Deutero-Pauline Letters - know the main differences: the undisputed vs.
· The Letters to the Colossians and the Ephesians
· The Pastoral Epistles: 1 & 2 Timothy & Titus
& James on Faith & Works - why do they apparently, but not really,
contradict each other
. Acts of Paul and Thecla (off-site; skim quickly)
|Th-11/17||· The Epistle to the Hebrews|
Codes in the NT
· Paul's Missionary Associates - focus on the women
Epistles of Peter
· The Epistle of James
· The Letter of Jude
Materials for the Book of Revelation
· Defintions of "Apocalyptic"
· Numbers in the Book of Revelation
Development of the NT Canon (offsite)
· Study Guide for the Final Exam
|Th-12/8||optional review session: Q&A only, no new material; in regular classroom at our usual time|
Click here for the weekly Discussion Group Questions
Return to the Homepage of Prof. Felix Just, S.J.
Copyright © 2005--2006